Monday, March 12, 2012

Canned Tomatoes & Febreze

Today I read about all the scary things that come with being a consumer.

Simple, daily items... like the canned tomatoes I'm using in tonight's Taco Soup, whose acidity eats away at the BPA infused inner coating of the aluminum can they are packaged in.  So much for the Organic label.  I'm going to have to learn how to recreate my fire roasted tomatoes from real fresh tomatoes... mason jars?

7 Food Experts Won't Eat... including canned tomatoes

I also read that smelly-good things are made primarily from a variety of scary chemicals.  So, I threw away two Febreze noticeables plug ins.  Time to bring out the mini-crockpot and fill it with orange peels and cinnamon sticks- a smell that takes me back to holidays at Grandma's house.  Not only is this an all-natural solution, but it's much more economical.

12 Household Toxins... including synthetic air fresheners

2 comments:

  1. I bought mason jars with the idea of canning tomatoes this summer.... until I learned that the lids have BPA in them! There's a company called Tattler that makes reusable, expensive BPA free plastic lids, but plastic is still plastic in my mind and I could never give a jar away because of the super expensive lid. Just FYI.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the FYI Janessa! I didn't even think about the lids, good catch!

    ReplyDelete